cheap old laptop

WRT: WINE and Crossover Office,
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Jerry Greg Boyce wrote:
> Just as a warning to anyone using crossover office or wine right now, it
> was recently announced that both are vulnerable to the Windows WMF
> vulnerability that Microsoft had been scrambling over last week.
>
> I'm not sure if they've released patches for Wine yet, but it's worth
> looking into.
I posted this to the Crossover Office listserv. First, they seriously doubt
that this could would  happen as they thing that WINE itself needs to be
the target. However, they are currently installing a patch into their
version 5.0.1 that will specifically prevent the possibility of this
happening at all.

The bottom line is that WINE and Crossover Office are minimally vulnerable.

Additionally:
From: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10651414/

"An estimated 90 percent of personal computers run on Microsoft Windows
operating systems. Microsoft has found itself under attack on several
instances and has been forced to issue a number of patches to keep
computers running Windows safe. Mac and Linux computer users are not
at risk with this attack, even if their computers run Microsoft
programs such as Office or the Internet Explorer Web browser".

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group