[K]ubuntu

(posting back to the group, where it belongs)

On Mon 23. January 2006 07:43, Nicholas Bodley wrote:
> has a P II 233 MHz, and was upgraded to 128 MB of RAM. Its

Enough (barely, but enough) for KDE in my experience. The processor is weak,
so don't expect your computer to fly, but it should be enough for ordinary
work (emails, writing etc.).

> sound is on the motherboard, an ESS 1869 chip, and iirc, the

No experience here -- apparently (after brief browse through Yahoo! Search)
there are plenty of issues with it, but it should be generally supported by
ALSA.

> printer I was using (and still am using) was an HP Laserjet
> 6L. As well as I can remember, it either did not find the
> printer, or if it did, I couldn't configure it. Sound was

That's hard to believe LJ 6L is the most ordinary printer possible.
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_6L
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=87803

> probably the same story. My modem (which I do not use) is
> amazingly hard to find; although the machine has two physical
> COM: ports, the modem is on COM3: in Windows. Almost no Linux
> distributions can find it.

Modems are PITA, but if it is Lucent based (many softmodems are, alas, the
one on my laptop is not!), then http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ and/or
www.linmodems.org (apparently, the latter is currently down). If it is not,
you have to buy driver from www.linuxant.com -- I did and I pretty happy
with that (except, that I don't use it anymore, because of Verizon's DSL
for $14 :-)).

> I'm a nonmalicious hacker, and I think I wanted more tools
> (such as a good file manager) than I found in [K]Ubuntu.

krusader

> Nevertheless, I think the Ubuntu people have been doing a very
> nice job, and my experience is not typical. I'd say, try the
> live CD, and if you can undo it, maybe make a trial
> installation. While I understand why you asked me, please

I will -- time permitting, of course.

> For the near future, I'll be trying to recover data from a big
> FAT32 archive partition, and that will probably be taking up a
> lot of my energy.

??? What's problem with that?

Matej

The function of the expert is not to be more right than other
people, but to be wrong for more sophisticated reasons.
    -- Dr. David Butler, British psephologist