Rack equipment vendor/thoughts on Dell?

One reason is that Dell does not have the AMD chips in their servers, and
the AMD chips today are a bit more powerful than the Intel chips for the
next several months and maybe further.
While HP, Dell and IBM do support Linux, both HP and IBM have been committed
to Linux for a long time (HP since 1994), and both HP and IBM provide Linux
support directly for their servers. Here is a Linux link to HP:
http://www.hp.com/go/linux
Another vendor you might also want to investigate is CPU sales in Waltham.
(http://cpusales.com/). They have been good to both the BLU and
BostonUserGroups, although pcs4everyone has also been around for a while
and has a good reputation.

One additional thing is that we (BUG and BLU) bought 2 Dell Poweredge
servers a couple of years ago. The BLU server is running Fedora Core 2, and
the system tends to lock up every so often, and it is not a software issue.
The other BLU server is an older Compaq (HP) Proliant that runs like the
Everready rabbit.

The bottom line for me is that both HP and IBM make some very good servers
on both the low end as well as the high end, and both fully support Linux.
You can go to their websites and check the support matrix for the various
servers.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group