linux install (newbie here)

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 2:32 pm, Laurence Guild wrote:

> I have a CD (read only drive), but also have an external CD burner than
> can function as a read/write CD drive through a USB port.
>
> I'd like to install linux on a partition and still be able to boot
> windows 2000, I'm wondering what size partition approx would I need for
> linux ? I could buy another PC, but I'd prefer to see if I can do it all
> on this one.
>
> What linux distribution should I use or would they have something at the
> install fest ? I would like to get Perl, C++, emacs would it come with
> those and x windows ? Java might be good also.
Several distributions are available in a standalone (live) CD:
Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org)
Ubuntu/Kubuntu

I personally Prefer SuSE (http://www.opensuse.org)

Ubuntu/Kubuntu seems to have its ducks together and I think it is poised to
be one of the best distros. The CEO is Mark Shuttleworth who also was the
first space tourist.

There is also nothing wrong with Fedora Core 5.

I teach Linux courses at Northeastern and I generally give out some of the
live CDs to my students so they can run Linux at home without the need to
install. I also use Knoppix to test to see if LInux recognizes the
hardware.

Perl, Python, C++, emacs&xemacs and Java are available for all of those
distros at no extra cost.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group