Corrup mail files?

I'm noticing what seems like bizarre behaviour, and am wondering if anyone
has osme insight into it.

I'm running Sendmail 8.13.6.  One of my users tends to have a fairly large
mailbox in /var/mail/spool, as it is a very active mailing list account.
Interestingly, once it gets to about 6MB it seems to get corrupted.  I can
no longer lock the mailbox when accessing via POP3, and I get a select error
when trying to get to it through IMAP.

When deleting/renaming the file, all is well again.  The system itself seems
to rename a copy of the file with a .BOGUS extension.  I'm wondering about
two things:

1) Six MB doesn't seem all that large - why would it all of a sudden choke
at that point?
2) Is there a way of rescuing the old file?

As to #2, I haven't tried manually editing the thing and cutting it down
yet, but that's next on the list.  This isn't critical, but it *is*
annoying.
TIA,
 -Don