MythTV - ease of setup

Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> James Kramer wrote:
>> How difficult is it to get MythTV up and running for basic operation?
>
> Easy if you have the right hardware.  30-60 minutes.

Assuming a system that already has a suitable operating system
installed, I'd say the initial setup could be done within a few hours.
If you're installing from packages, much of the time will be spent going
through all the configuration screens in mythtv-setup, a GUI
configuration utility.

The various options in mythtv-setup are sparsely documented within the
program itself, and covered in a bit more detail on the wiki, but there
are still many options that are under documented. Fortunately for the
vast majority of the settings, the defaults will work.

There is some additional setup to be done within mythfrontend. Although
mythfrontend may not be the front-end you use to watch videos or set
schedules, you'll probably still end up using it. If you plan to use
something else for a front-end, like a Hauppauge MediaMVP, I'd recommend
installing mythfrontend on your back-end machine, as it provides access
to features either absent or not easily accessed from other interfaces.
And if you do end up using it this way, dig around in the settings and
find the options to switch it to run in a window (instead of full
screen) and enable the mouse pointer (which it hides by default).

I also recommend installing MythWeb, which provides a web front-end for
accessing program listings and setting schedules. I find the UI far more
intuitive than mythfrontend. (The latter tries to wedge a lot of
functionality into a UI navigated by a TV remote, so it tends to be
rather awkward to use directly on a computer.)

Speaking of the front-end, unless you plan to only watch videos on
computer screens, you'll need to budget some time for building or
setting up a front-end computer or appliance to attach to a TV. The
Hauppauge MediaMVP is a decent, low-power, inexpensive choice, but it
runs its own front-end software that has fewer features than the regular
mythfrontend client, and only natively supports MPEG2 video. If you plan
to store only a modest amount of video, that may be fine. Otherwise
you'll want to use MPEG4, and that'll require additional software (VLC,
which I haven't tried yet) on your server to stream the video to the
MediaMVP.

>> What video capture card is the most versatile and easy to
>> configure.
>
> Get a Hauppauge.  At my place, we have three tuners (2 Hauppauge
> cards)

I'd second that. I wanted a two-tuner solution, and the Hauppauge
PVR-500 was among the few choices, and seemed to be a popular choice
mentioned on the MythTV users mailing list. Some complained of poor
video quality. It does look a bit grainy in mythfrontend displayed on a
computer monitor, but it looks as good or better than broadcast TV when
displayed on a TV via the MediaMVP.

> ...running on Ubuntu Edgy.

I setup a dedicated machine for MythTV starting with Ubuntu Dapper and
quickly upgraded that to Edgy so I could easily pull in more current
MythTV packages.

I then ran into a problem with the PVR-500 not tuning in stations
properly. (Part of the problem was that the tuner mode was set to
antenna instead of cable. A setting that wasn't very apparent in
mythtv-setup.) Some research showed the cause to be a problem with the
IVTV video capture card drivers. A patch was needed to work with the
newer Samsung tuners on recent PVR-500 cards. That patched version was
only available as a built package for Ubuntu Fiesty, so I upgraded to
the bleeding edge. (Not something I'd recommend, if you can avoid it, as
there is a continuous stream of updates, which take time to install. I
didn't check the dependencies. It's possible the newer IVTV package
could have worked on Edgy, or that grabbing the source package, and
applying the patch, might have been less work in the long run.)

But once the latest IVTV driver was installed, everything worked.

> The Ubuntu wiki has a great guide for
> however you want to set it up.  Check it out:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Edgy

I'd also second that. I read through the Ubuntu guides on MythTV's own
wiki, and decided the ones on the Ubuntu site were better.

The biggest problem with MythTV, once you have it running, is that it is
under documented. For example, it may take a while before you understand
the meaning of all the scheduling options. There are some wiki pages
covering these, and other matters, but they fall short. (And once you
experimentally figure out what they do, you tend not to go back to the
wiki, and thus the wiki doesn't get updated.)

Another issue I find is that a lot of info is "locked up" in the wiki
and not easily found due to the poor search engine provided by the
MediaWiki software they use. You generally need to know precisely what
something is called before you can find it.

Take for example the issue that started this thread, "Storage Groups."
In this case even if you happened to know the proper name for it, there
are no matches for it in the wiki, as apparently it is only documented
in a HOWTO that isn't in the wiki. (Which I've now remedied by adding a
page to the wiki.)

The MythTV users mailing list can be another useful resource, but I've
found the volume to be too high to keep up with, so it is more useful
for data mining. Not ideal if your question or problem hasn't been
previously addressed.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro