Intel Core Duo

On Sun Mar 25 22:51:10 EDT 2007 Tom Metro wrote:
> I'm surprised this is the only mention of the Intel Core Duo in this
> thread. It seems we (at least the more technical users) have all gotten
> so used to turning to AMD, that it's hard to switch gears. I've been
> using AMD CPUs exclusively since the mid-90's I think, but have bought
> or built two systems with Intel CPUs in 2006.
AMD got a jump on Intel with the 64-bit Opteron in ~2003 when Intel was
focused on the IA64 line. Intel has been aggressively playing catchup
both in the desktop and low-end server market. Intel had decided that
the x86 architecture is at the end of its life. At this point, on a
technological basis, Intel has certainly narrowed the gap. Not all the
Core Duos are 64-bit, but I believe that based on my prior research
that Intel is now only producing 64-bit chips. Unlike AMD, Intel's
chip names do not include 64. You could get a Pentium with 32-bits or
64-bits. AMD on the other hand markets their chips as Turion64 or
Athalon64. Today there are so many features, such as Hyperthreading,
Speedstep, and Virtualization Technology, you really need to look up
the chip's number.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group