printer(/copier/etc.) recommendations?

The HP all in one models seem to work pretty good, plus HP has Linux
drivers for them. I think you need one or all of the following packages
on Debian (Ubuntu should be pretty much the same):

hp-ppd - HP Postscript Printer Definition (PPD) files
hpijs - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - gs IJS driver (hpijs)
hpijs-ppds - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - HPIJS PPD files
hplip - HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
hpoj - HP OfficeJet Linux driver (hpoj)

At the moment I've an HP PSC 2210 (bought in 2005?) and it works well,
prints, copies, scans, & faxes. And fairly easy to setup in CUPS.

--
Mick Timony
--

That government is best which governs least.
                -- Henry David Thoreau, "Civil Disobedience"

believed to be clean.