Atmosphere?

Samuel Baldwin wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm new to BLU, and have not attended a meeting yet.
> I plan to be there on the 16th and 19th, or at least one of those.

Excellent!

> My main question is what the atmosphere is like. Is it a class-room
> type setting where we all shut-up and let the speaker talk? Or a
> speaker talks, but we interject when appropriate? Speaker talks,
> then open discussion? Somewhere inbetween?

In part, it's up to the presenter, but they almost always accept
questions in-line AND at the end.  See, Marketing folks just want to get
through their presentation.  Geeks want you to drink the Kool-Aid.  We
don't suffer Marketeers.

Either way, every single meeting starts with a Q&A portion where the
audience can ask questions on any topic, whether it's relevant to the
presentation or not.  That usually goes on from about 6:30 to 7:10, and
the main presentation starts shortly after.  Sorry, no previews or
cartoons or news reels.

I'll add one more point.  I've been a member for (I think) about a
decade (I'm an Officer now), and the thing I like most about BLU is they
are not snobbish about answering questions from novices, but they're
right there with the answers to the tough questions, too.  I think
that's one of the secrets of our longevity.  We don't scare off the newbies.

 > I'd assume it's
> an enjoyable experience, since you all keep going back.. :P

As I hope you will.  I've probably missed no more than three or four
meetings in the past six years.

believed to be clean.