Rant! ATI Radeon

markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I am getting pretty P.O.'d at ATI.
>
> I had an old Radeon AGP card with TV out that used to work O.K. but I
> wanted to setup my home entertainment system. I tried to use the
> proprietary ATI drivers to get TVOut working.
>
> Guess what? ATI wasn't supporting the old card. I didn't worry too much
> because I can understand, when creating a new driver project, you have to
> choose a starting point.
>
> So, a year or two ago I bought a Radeon 9200SE based AGP card for my
> system. It worked pretty well, until I upgraded to edgy. Then DGA didn't
> work quite right, but it was a known bug and was going to be fixed.
>
> I just upgraded to Feisty, and guess what!? They dropped official support
> for the 9200SE.
>
> This is ridiculous. Anyone else have an ATI story?

You shoulda been at the last installfest.  I brought my days-old
Thinkpad T60p with an ATI card and WSXGA+ screen (1600x1050).  I tried
no less than four distributions on it.  Only the Knoppix LiveCD would
get it into graphical mode, and even then only in 4:3 low res.  I ended
up returning the laptop for 15% restocking fee plus I paid shipping back.

As I write this, I am installing F7 on my brand new Dell Latitude D820
with an NVidia card, which came up out of the bat 1600x1050 with working
sound, etc.  It will work better as a MythTV client, too.  I haven't
tried to get wireless working yet.  That's probably a task for tomorrow.
 It's late.

The Sysadmin at my company just returned three high-end D830 laptops
without opening them because he found out they switched to ATI on the
new model.  They splurged on the new Santa Rosa chipset then shrunk the
screen and shoved in a crap ATI card!

believed to be clean.