MySQL RANT

I still don't put MySQL (or MS-SQL) in the league with Oracle, or DB2.  But
IMHO, it has its place.

I have worked at small customers that use a DB package that is 'proprietary'
to their industry.  In these cases getting them to MySQL or Postures was a
breath of fresh air.

MySQL had growing pains but has overcome most of them.  Many folks still
'remember' those days and can't let go, but there are still issues, that is
true.  Other folks are better at enumerating the shortcomings of MySQL than
I, so I will leave that to them.

>From the database packages I have seen, they almost all 'work'.  I wouldn't
put a pay for Oracle license behind a web page having a few hundred hits a
day (just a waste of $$).  I also would not put MySQL behind a web or other
transaction front end that half a million or so DB queries/updates an hour
either, especially one with a 7x24 hot backup requirement.

MySQL is good for the beginning or even experienced SQL geek, but understand
that when/if their application goes 'big time', they will be porting to
another DB system.

This get down my arguments down to writing 'standard' SQL. <soapbox>  Not
using the 'DB dependant' special calls that are (apparently) 'Always' used
to get higher performance.  MySQL has them.  Oracle has them.  DB2 has them.
M$SQL has them.  Postgres has them.  Find a 'standard subset' and use that.
... Your LONG TERM life will be much happier. </soapbox>

Now lets get back to cheering on the Judge that just send Paris Hilton back
to jail!

believed to be clean.