random system freeze

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, Kristian Hermansen wrote:

> On 7/8/07, eric c <eric-yrHdaQSNc4gdnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> what log files should i be digging in to find the key to my problem?
>> thanks for any suggestions.  - eric c.
>
> First remove any unnecessary drivers from the kernel.  So, make sure
> you don't have VMware drivers, or proprietary nvidia/ati drivers, or
> TV tuner card drivers, etc.  Then, ensure your network card driver is
> stable.  Unload any ndiswrapper modules, etc.  Then, see if you still
> reach the same points.
>
> You can grep around for "oops" or "aieee" to see if the kernel is
> encountering any unstable conditions....
> --
> Kristian Hermansen

I would also add to remove any new or extra peripherals other than the
mandatory ones - monitor and keyboard.   I do exclude the mouse as you can
always run a system without it, but it may be needed in your case.  Also,
if you have an inline kvm, you way want to plug your devices directly into
the PC and leave the kvm on the side.

Any recent changes to the system?

Scott

believed to be clean.