segmantation fault error

Eugene Gorelik wrote:
> Sometimes I am getting segmentation fault errors when using various
> standard
> OS tools, for example:
>
> kernel: zip[2351]: segfault at 0000000000000003 rip 0000003a9a970810 rsp
> 0000007fbfffc328 error 4
>
> My system is : RHEL 4  2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Jun 12 17:58:20 EDT
> 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I am running 30 servers with this OS/Kernel and having these errors only on
> one machine, can it point to some hardware issues ?

Absolutely.  Might be worth rebooting with the rescue disk and running
memcheck for a while to see if the main memory is the issue.

I had a stick of memory go bad on me once, and all of a sudden the machine
would boot in rescue mode and do an fsck fine, but when booted normally it
would go screwy halfway through bootup and corrupt the filesystem.  My theory
after I figured it out and removed the bad memory was that given a particular
kernel, it just so happened that the filesystem code was always getting loaded
into the same corrupt memory...

Matt

believed to be clean.