random system freeze

One of the sharpest people I've had the pleasure read a post by, David
Kramer wrote:
> Under Linux, random system freezes can be caused by bad drivers, but
> it's much more often a component responding badly to heat, or bad RAM.

i've disconnected and uninstalled all the extra goodies and slowing
watching what happens while putting them all back.  no freezes in 3 days...

> Having said that, the only real time my server locks up is when I'm
> transcoding videos with ffmpeg *and* I try burning a DVD *and* the
> system load is high due to other servers running, all at the same time.
>   Next server is dual core, for sure.

i run the machine hard for amusement.  at the moment i'm ripping cd's
with  sound juicer, blasting tunes with xmms, ktorrent's sharing with
the planet, i'm surfing on how to change the file system of my external
hard drive from vfat to something interesting, enjoying my fifth
hefeweizen and pissed the cpu graph applet is only at 1/3 maxed!  it's
time for some games!

what the hell am i going to do next year when i can afford a quad core?

- eric c.

believed to be clean.