Ubuntu weird characters in PuTTY

On 7/16/07, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Sounds like Ubuntu is detecting a TERM that it thinks can do VT100
> bold/under, but PuTTY isn't doing it.

 I tried

export TERM=linux

and

export TERM=xterm

Neither of these has completely resolved the problem.

There seem to be three weirdnesses with my current setup:

1) mutt tries to truncate lines at 80 columns, but some lines are wrapping
anyway, suggesting that mutt doesn't know how many characters wide some
single characters are, and

2) since mutt (curses?) only repaints the portions of the screen it things
need repainting, some garbage gets left behind as I move from message to
message, etc., and

3) display of some messages resets the title bar of the PuTTY window to
garbage.

Any clues would be welcome.

Thanks!
-pd