List changes? Receiving messages "to" me?

http://postmaster.aol.com/

> > The changes to Mailman that now send a separate copy to each
> > subscriber were done to make it possible to unsubscribe the
> > offenders.
>
> Other Mailman lists I'm on utilize Variable Envelope Return Paths
> (VERP)[1] (as someone else mentioned), so I assume it is something
> Mailman supports.
>
> VERP is a technique where each message is sent using a unique envelope
> sender address that can be used to identify who the original recipient
> was when a bounce occurs. There is no need to modify the RFC822 headers.

VERP only helps if the message is actually bounced and you have something to
look at. In the AOL case, I believe the user hits "this is spam" after its
already been received -- no bounce, just a report to the AOL postmasters, who
then do who knows what from there anymore.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org

believed to be clean.