Re: Dell Ubuntu Laptop

 On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:03:12 -0500
"Martin Owens" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nah, they're trying to recoup some of the money they've had to invest
> in the project; they have people working on intergration; not only
> that but I'd consider the ubuntu laptop to be a premium anyway, since
> it works better than windows for most peoples needs.
>
> So what if Dell creams some money off the top, pretty cheap price for
> their loyalty really.

Most companies price to market. I would probably agree with Ward's
comments. Dell got some pretty decent press as well as kudos from the
Linux community. Certainly, margins are very important, but I doubt
they are specifically adding the per-system cost of Ubuntu. However,
there are several reasons why a Linux laptop might be priced higher
than an identical piece of hardware with Windows. One possible reason
is that they really don't want to sell the Linux laptop, but they do
want to offer it. We don't know what their internal strategy is.

--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group