Re: SSH authentication

 Jerry,

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 03:19:11PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
[...]
> There are 3 scenarios where key authentication does not work and I
> must use my password:
> 1. log in from one Linux system to another Linux system.
> 2. log in from my company Windows laptop using a key generated by
> Putty.
> 3. log in from my Linux laptop. Again, I can successfully log in from
> my laptop to home or the blu servers.
[...]
> In my case here, there were no changes made to ssh or sshd.

Clearly, *something* has changed.  My first guess would be that the
Linux systems' sshd_config somehow got overwritten with a different
config file in which encryption-based authentication is disabled.

Barring that, much more info is needed.  As usual, looking at the logs
from your connection attempts would likely be revealing, as would
the output of ssh -v $host.  It would probably be most helpful though
if you could run the sshd in debug mode (it will only listen to one
connection) and take a look at that debug output.  Feel free to post
that stuff for more help, if it's not immediately obvious what the
problem is...

-=-=-=-=-