Re: Compiler Recommendations

 On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:00:11 -0800
"Kristian Erik Hermansen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03 Jan 2008 17:19:34 -0500, Kevin D. Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Q:  If I write the code int i, j; can I assume that (&amp;i + 1) == &amp;j?
> > A:  Only sometimes. It's not portable, because in EBCDIC, i and j
> >     are not adjacent.
> >                 -- Infrequently Asked Questions in comp.lang.c
>
> The answer to this is also "no" because some compiler
> randomize/reorder both compile and runtime variable allocations for
> security reasons :-)

First, this has nothing to do with EBCDIC. EBCDIC only would apply to
character data, not integer data. EBCDIC code is an IBM 8-bit encoding
analogous to ASCII.  But, the answer, is you cannot assume. Compilers
and Linkers will move data around for many reasons. Normally 2 like
data elements would probably be allocated adjacent, but also compilers
like to use registers, so i and j may not even be allocated.

War story:
I once worked on a system that had something like:
struct foo {
} bar;
int barcheck;

For some reason the idiot who wrote the code had never heard of
sizeof.  There were several cases of:
unsigned int  size = &amp;barcheck - &amp;bar;
struct foo *cfoo = (struct cfoo *)malloc(size);

Before I came there had been a couple of projects to move the code to a
newer compiler (because of a new ICE). In the case of the new compiler,
bar was allocated in a separate area from barcheck; In any case, what
would happen would be that the code would crash when loading because
size was a very large number and malloc returned NULL. There were
several cases of that kind of code.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846