mysql kufuffle

 Guys,

I'm having a hard time getting mysql setup on my redhat system. The
issue has to do with a not quite properly setup system in which the
hostname is not set to the fully qualified domain name of the system.
So, when mysql starts up for the first time, through the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld script, the database is inititlaized, and the
host is defined with the non-fqdn string. But when I go to set the root
password using the command

mysqladmin -u root -h basement00 password BlAa

it complains that root does not have access from the host and it spits
out the fully qualified domain name. It looks like I need to fix up
something within the db tables so that it recognizes my host, using the
fqdn string. Any ideas on this?

thanks in advance.

Cheers. Steve.

believed to be clean.