RE: Definition of dump levels?

 Scott,

Dump levels are great if you want to manage your backup down to the n'th
degree.

You have it right, level 0 is full.
Each subsequent level will not backup whatever has been backed up (using
dates)
by any previous level.

You might want to use Level 0 on Sunday, 1 on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, 3 on
Wednesday,
1 on Thursday, 2 on Friday and 3 on Saturday.

To restore a system to Saturday, you would need Sunday (0), Thursday through
Saturdays
dumps (1,2,3).  So you would NOT need to restore Monday through Wednesdays
backups.

Or in another scenario, you could do level 0 once a month on the first
Saturday,
level 1 for the other Saturdays, 4 on Wednesdays, and level 9 on all other
days.

For personal or small business work, it would keep down the number of
different tapes
needed.  Including keeping down the number of tapes you would need to spin
to do a
'full restore'.

I hope that might help a little.

... Jack