[OT] Up-Sampling HD DVD

 Most of us geeks are gadget people, so this is a report from the trenches:

Upsampling DVD and HDTVs.

I have a 1080p 42" television. My old TV was getting old and the picture
was fading, well, anyway, those are my excuses for buying one and I'm
sticking to them :-)

The HD TV channels looked awesome, but as you may know the standard DVD
players look like crap. The "widescreen" DVDs need the TV to zoom to fill
the screen, and it looks like you are watching it through wax paper.

The "upsampling" DVDs do a better job of interpolating the image data from
the disk using the interlaced images. It really does look great. Cleaner
and crisper. It is not obvious that it is not really HD.

The second thing to look at is the HDMI (High Definition Multimedia
Interface) cable. The HDMI cable is a complete rip-off and how business
like BestBuy make money. They sell the HD devices dirt cheap and rape you
on the cables. A 2M cable on the internet is between $5~$10 depending on
where you buy it. A 2M HDMI cable at Best buy is a minimum of $60, and
they'll try to sell you the "Monster Cable" for $120.

So, buy the dirt cheap device at BestBuy (purchase on the internet and
pick it up at the store cheaper), and buy the cable on-line for about $5
bucks.

believed to be clean.