Re: port blocking fun

 On Jan 9, 2008 9:30 AM, Chris Giroir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I feel like such a mean person when I'm on the phone with tech support
> form Verizon and Comcast but I HATE talking to someone that's telling
> me to restart my windows computer for the 5th time after I tell them I
> have a router, have restarted it and aren't even running windows!

I think there should be this certification that consumers can get
which allows them to bypass the lowest level of technical support
queues and go right to the people who have a clue.  Would anyone go
for it?  Probably not -- especially corporations :-)  But I still
think it is a cool idea.  The time that I really hated Comcast was
when I had some issue (cant remember what) and that guy was telling me
to open up Internet Explorer.  At first, I was very courteous and
pretended to follow along on his queue. It got to a point where he
actually wanted me to go to some test site with an ActiveX control,
and I was like "dude, this isn't going to work because I am not
running Windows".  At that point, he flipped out and asked me why I
pretended to follow along the whole time.  It wouldn't have worked
anyways, since that wouldn't have solved anything.

<sidenote>
Oh, I remember the issue now.  If you download/upload more than a
certain amount of data, they throttle or kill your connections.  This
came at a time when I was heavily torrenting an Ubuntu release during
the first week of availability (perhaps hundreds of GB or even a TB).
</sidenote>

Anyway. it finally came down to the guy hanging up on me. How rude!
His last words were ... "Listen buddy, I have more experience than you
do with this stuff.  10 years Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.
Don't tell me how to do my job..." *click*

An interesting article where Comcast admits to cutting off Internet
users for exceeding bandwidth quotas...
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9763901-7.html
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."

believed to be clean.