Re: Anti-recommendation: Comcast.

 Bill Horne wrote:
> Checking for PTR records is routine for most ISP's...

I'm referring to not just checking for the presence of a PTR record, but
applying a regular expression to the format of the returned PTR record.
This I consider arbitrary, and highly error prone.

The idea of tracking blocks of dynamic IP addresses is also tenuous
(unless the ISPs themselves participate in the system), but a step more
reliable than making judgments on the appearance of the PTR record.

> ...and I'm surprised that you haven't gotten rejections more often.

Pretty much never...though of course many spam rejections don't generate
a bounce.

> Of course, it's imperfect - effectively, just a confirmation that the
> machine sending the mail is not a desktop - but it's all we've got.

This classic web page provides a good rant on why most anti-spam
techniques are fundamentally broken:

No anti-UBM measure for SMTP-based Internet mail works
http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/smtp-anti-ubm-dont-work.html

It has a section specifically on the above issue titled "Treating other
ISPs' customers as third-class citizens."

As a community who frequently chooses to operate our own servers, we
should be doing our part to discourage these types of broad based and
misguided anti-spam measures.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro