Re: I really prefer Linux over everything else

 On Jan 21, 2008, at 01:51, Martin Owens wrote:

> It may well be a nice, smooth and well designed system at the moment
> but there is a darker side the Apple operating system, lets prey it
> never devours more than 20% of the desktop market because the
> restrictions, the cost and the lock downs are worse than any other
> platform.

True, they do have some significant lock-in, given that they both
write the OS and sell the hardware, but they *do* have at least a
large chunk of their kernel available for all to see, and plenty have
seen it and done interesting things with it, like let you install and
run Mac OS X on a wide variety of non-Apple hardware (I have a core 2
quad system dual-booting Mac OS X and Fedora, works great under both
operating systems. Also have OS X on my ThinkPad, though it doesn't
run as well there yet due to driver issues). Of course it'll never be
supported by Apple and you're on your own when things go wrong, but
that situation doesn't strike me as all that much different from
running a Linux distribution like say CentOS or Gentoo. There are very
active and highly technical user communities to help out when you run
into problems.

Personally, I don't find Apple's costs to be all that excessive
either. Sure, you can't buy a $350 laptop from them, but if you spec
out the entry-level macbook with a comparable laptop from another
respectable manufacturer, the gap isn't that huge. And I seem to
recall AOpen's Mac Mini clone costing far more than a Mini, even with
just a Celeron processor in it. I suppose on the "Pro" end of the Mac
lineup, the cost gap does start to increase though, and you're not
allowed as much variance in configuration options as some other
vendors (the ability to choose Intel graphics instead of nVidia on my
ThinkPad was a major reason I went with my T61).

> I dislike the Mac OS X system so much I gave my 17" Powerbook away,

Damn, I'd have been happy to take that off your hands... :)

Although, rather than give it away, why didn't you just install Linux
on it? Linux runs quite well on my 15" PowerBook these days.

> it's just too much hassle, not enough of it just works for me and it
> put way too many cost barriers in my face, I felt like I was paying
> lots of money for every single ity application. There is not freedom
> of speech in Apple, only corporate goals. Your welcome to your
> stalinised fancy desktop with nice locked down integrated apps because
> one day it'll bite you in the behind in unexpected ways. Although I
> think you know that already.

Yep,  I don't use OS X with Mac Zealot Blinders on, I know exactly
what it is I'm getting myself into. I stick to Linux on the server
side, my Mac Mini mythtv frontend runs Linux 99% of the time, all my
other Macs dual-boot Linux as well, and I quite happily use a Linux
desktop the better part of 40+ hours per week at work, but I still
enjoy using Mac OS X.