Re: which provider you suggest

 bas milis wrote:
> dear all,
>
> my friend came and asked me which internet provider would I suggest
> for home user. since I do not come from boston and I hooked from
> my school wireless all this time, so I forward this question to you
> guys. any suggestion?

I used to use Speakeasy, which was great, but expensive.  After a few
years, I noticed that for less than I was paying Speakeasy to give me
DSL with static IP connecting to the Real Internet, I could get Verizon
DSL connecting to the Luser Internet *plus* a virtual server at
OpenHosting connecting to the Real Internet.  Also, I trusted
OpenHosting to competently handle things like power interruptions and
disk backups better than I could myself.

("Real Internet" = you're allowed to do pretty much anything except spam
and you're expected to have some basic technical competence.  "Luser
Internet" = if you're trying to host a server don't be surprised to see
your ports blocked and if you're running Linux don't expect any tech
support.  Cf. the recent thread on Comcast.  I've just given up any hope
that an ISP with enough volume to keep prices low is going to support
the Real Internet.)

So I reluctantly signed up for Verizon DSL (I don't have cable, don't
want to pay for cable, so Comcast was out of the question).  The
transition left me without any broadband access for about a week longer
than I expected, and I had to claw through layers of bureaucracy to get
information from anybody at Verizon with a clue, but ever since the
transition happened, I've had no complaints.  Bits come in, bits go out,
and if I want to futz with my public-facing Web site I log into OpenHosting.

As wicked slothful money-grubbing monopolists go, Verizon is tolerable.

> thx,
> -bas

believed to be clean.