Re: open source alternatives to Quicken

re Tom's questions.

Journaling too much in the software sense of the word, not the
accounting sense.  There appears to be a backup file after every save.
These pile up after a while and can make it ugly when you need to
actually find one and revert.

I've never had the joy of using QuickBooks or Peachtree.  Before Quicken
it was pen and paper and a handful of 'reserved' data registers on my
HP-12C for various current balances.

I was doing Quicken since '93, including a longish stint using Quicken 8
for DOS under DOSEMU.  By my last version, Quicken 2000? I'd honed the
reports and graphs to things I liked to see.  I'm just not there yet in
GNUCash.

As for splits - it's like everybody else's splits.  It's just that the
double-entry stuff makes it feel a little weird.  So if I want to enter
my paycheck as splits, the net value and all of the *deductions* show up
on the DEPOSIT column while the gross income line items end up in the
*WITHDRAWL* column.  Splitting a CVS debit card transaction between
prescriptions, candy bars and cash back, being a debit against the main
ledger of course reverses this convention.  I still find this to be
monsterously counter-intuitive.  Maybe it's me.

As for the other alternatives...  If it was coded in Java, I don't want
to know about it.  Given Sun's recent behavior, this bias is beginning
to change but I haven't had time to wrap my head around IcedT yet.
GNUCash is a ton of scheme code around a crunchy C core and being an
Emacs fanboy, that kind of architecture suits me fine.  For
cross-platform use I fire up an X server and ssh -Y into a real
computer.

ccb