Ubuntu hardy and noscript problems

 I took the plunge and upgraded yesterday.   My system originally had
feisty, then was dist-upgraded to gutsy, now dist-upgraded to hardy.

All files downloaded, but gstreamer complained and the upgraded "crashed".

So I rebooted, got an error, and continued with sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and it went through more updates.  I rebooted, grub still shows ubuntu
7.10, so another round of dist-upgrade, another reboot, and we were in
business.

Firefox 3 is the default, but I don't want to play with betas so I used
synaptic to completely remove all firefox versions (2 and 3), removed
/etc/firefox prefs, as I had my own working copy in /usr/local/bin
downloaded from mozilla.com anyway.

I then visit Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > Get Extensions then search for
noscript.  Mozilla.com finds it, complains it is unsigned, downloads it,
prompts me to install it, then at the Installing... window, immediately
produces:

"Error
Firefox could not install the file at
http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/file/27442/noscript-1.6.4-fx+mz+sm.xpi

because: Unexpected installation error
Review the Error Console log for more details.
-203"

then an OK button is the only choice.

Tools > Error Console
reveals:

Error: installLocation has no properties
Source File: file:///usr/local/bin/firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
Line: 3938

Looks like many similar bugs have been filed but for other firefox
components as well.

What next?

Scott

believed to be clean.