Re: Hawatha Bray

 Mark,

I would agree with your assessment, having read some of his pieces
over the past number of years. He has often ticked off the Mac
community and does often appear to be a shill for Microsoft.

In regards to the recent article that you refer to:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/04/24/apple_air_laptops_shortcomings_are_easy_to_forgive/

I think he was actually gentle on Apple. I really think the Mac Air is
an over-priced, feature-less Mac like we haven't seen in quite some
time. I say this as a long-time Mac User, fan, and supporter.

I have also had the "opportunity" to have some close-up experience
with the Lenovo X300. I am not particularly fond of Windows Systems,
although I have used and supported them as long as I have been using
Macs. I spend most of my time using, supporting and Administering
Linux, UNIX, OSX in addition to Windows systems. Given the choice, I
might be Windowless, except for the needs of my employer, clients,
friends, and family who insist upon torturing themselves.

Without going into specs and details the $1600 Mac Air is not a fair
comparison...the higher priced system, with some add-ons (like
external peripherals) would be more reasonable. The X300 (with XP,
since I and nobody I've worked for and with would get near Vista) is
an impressive system. It is well designed, loaded with features, and
after having worked with a handful of them for the last month makes me
say "If you have to buy a Windows system...you should buy one of these".

I say this with regret...Apple has blown it with the Mac Air, Lenovo
has put out a far superior product; despite the fact that I still
think Windows sucks and I would rather use an OSX system any day of
the week. It would make a great Linux laptop.

For those of you who haven't seen it yet...check out the Mac Air
Lenovo Parody:

Michael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnOCUkbix0