Re: Choice of ISP

 On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 07:50:21AM -0400, Randy Cole wrote:
> I agree with everything Mark says, except I WOULD allow the carrier to
> sell services.

It could be allowed only if the 'wire' side of the incumbent is - by law -
forced to charge the same rates to competitors as to the inhouse ISP.

And even then there would need to be strict regulation, strong oversight, and
draconian punishment for any preferential treatment of the in-house ISP.

I fear that would be very difficult to keep up, so I'm with Mark on this -
the companies who own the wires should not be allowed to sell data services.
They should only be maintaining and managing those wires - be that fiber,
copper, or whatever. I think that's the only reliable shot at a long-term
level playing field.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(   "If you think penguins are fat and waddle, you have   )-
Virtual hosting -( never been attacked by one running at you in excess of  )-

believed to be clean.