persistent xterm sessions

 Anyone know of a tool like 'screen' or an xterm equivalent that has the
ability to persistently save sessions? If you need to restart X or
reboot, most apps these days can preserve their sessions (like Firefox,
or an editor saving buffers), but you're stuck starting over from
scratch with your xterm sessions.

When I start up X, I'd like to be able to resume work in a bunch of
xterm sessions, each preserving a title, current working directory,
command history, and scrollback buffer. Ideally it'd be nice to be able
to "reattach" to running programs in those xterms, much as you can
reattach to a screen (providing you haven't rebooted the machine).

(It'd be nice to see some of the hibernate technology added to the Linux
kernel to support laptops made granular such that individual processes
or process groups could be selectively hibernated. If that existed,
'screen' could be updated to let you hibernate a screen session, which
could then be resumed after a reboot.)

I played around with Gnome's ability to save sessions, and found it to
be unreliable, as far as preserving xterm sessions.

Aside from preserving the scrollback buffer, I think most of this is
doable given enough scripting effort. It just wouldn't be all that
dynamic - for each xterm you wanted to be persistent, you'd have to add
some code to your startup script. (Which is something I've already done,
but I haven't tried preserving session-specific command histories.)

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA