Re: ATA over Ethernet (aoe) Experience?

 Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> Cool idea, and please let us know if you implement it and the result
> works.  But I feel compelled to also point you to vmware's vmotion
> product :-)

Looking quickly at Vmotion it seems that Vmotion starts out requiring a
box to serve up disks  I am only being medium ambitious here.  I want to
have two identical servers that can stand in for each other with no
single points of failure.  Put some central disk server in the mix and I
start to want two of them in case one dies.  The cost of minimal
hardware of a completely redundant system goes up by thousands.

(Also, Vmware always ignores the resumes I send them.  If they don't
like me, I am not so enthusiastic about them.)

A point on motivation: Upgrading software.  Say the host OS needs an
upgrade, or the virtualization software itself has a new revision.
Those are cases where the whole world might really be happier with a
reboot of the guest.  Vmotion seems to be a load balancing feature.
Trying a live migration for an upgrade seems greedy.  In those cases I
think it is reasonable to reboot the guest OS.  Yes, you can't do many
reboots and still do "five-nines", but people who think they have that
reliability are usually fooling themselves.  A little scheduled downtime
is usually something that can be arranged, and a system that assumes a
reboot is occasionally allowed can be so much simplier--and simplicity
breeds reliability.

-kb, the Kent who is coming around to thinking Virtualbox is pretty damn
cool.

P.S.  It is still annoying that only one copy of Virtualbox can be
installed at once on a host machine.  Qemu doesn't have that
limitation...though in the
most recent copy of Qemu that I have tried dereferencing a -1 kills the
entire guest OS.  Yes, really.

believed to be clean.