Re: Virtualization preferences

 The requirement for VTx is only if you plan to use full virt (which has
always been the case).  I do not believe there is such a case for para
virt.  The only 'requirement' is for PAE, which you won't find (for
example) on older pentium mobility processors.  Please correct me if I
am wrong on this.

Regarding upgrading the host and winding up with broken guests... I know
that on Fedora 5 (I think) there was a time when upgrading the host OS's
(Dom0) xen kernel could have left you in a bind because it introduced a
dependency for PAE support in the guest OS's (DomU). Thus if you didn't
upgrade the guests first, you where hosed.

Otherwise, I've been pretty successful as far as I can recall with
running PV guests and hosts with dissimilar versions (within reason).
But I'd expect that if you want to make use of live migration, suspend,
resume, etc... I'd probably advise thoughtful planning and upgrade
schedules to keep things closer in sync.

Last, I don't know if everything Red Hat has done filters down to
CentOS ... [but assuming it does] ...  Part of what Red Hat did when
integrating Xen into Enterprise Linux, was to insulate the user from the
hypervisor implementation.  Meaning, the tooling for managing virtual
machines is built on project libVirt ... and essentially ... down the
road if Xen is not the "in" technology, then it can be replaced by (or
augmented with) kvm, or what ever ... and your tools, scripts, knowledge
stays the same.

-cd