Re: Low cost, energy efficient home pc server?

 I had a low-power micro-ATX server based on a VIA processor for the past
couple of years.  Decided to retire it just this past month in favor of more
storage:  I'm an HDTV afficionado and have decided that I really want
everything in the house, including a thousand DVDs and a few hundred home
videos, in one server.

6 terabytes should do the trick.  This is no longer cost-prohibitive at $150/TB.

The old VIA processor wasn't up to snuff, can't handle the data throughput I
need now.  Also, I want to virtualize servers for security reasons.  (Some
here have pooh-poohed virtualization because in theory the O/S should be able
to handle everything that a hypervisor would.  But if I want different
security domains i.e. separate root pw's for managing my household Apache
server and my household MySQL server and my household email server in case one
of them gets breached, what other choice is there?  SELinux?)

Enter the Core 2 Duo.  The server I built around a Super Micro X7SBL-LN2
motherboard with the E8400 3GHz processor runs at 96 watts with two drives
spinning, maxing out around 150 watts with 7 drives running.

By comparison, the VIA-based system ran at 47 watts with two drives spinning.

System works well but with one unresolved headache:  getting SATA device
resets and SMART monitoring warnings for a couple of the disk drives.  I think
I went too cheap on these; found three heavily-discounted Hitachi external USB
units that got discontinued by Best Buy, and after returning two defective
units for replacement, installed them internally (USB doesn't provide the
spindown timer parameter needed for electrical power savings.  Plus the
external unit provided by Hitachi has no fan if you settle for that, it runs
quite hot.)  Hitachi might have a better product on the market by now but my
hunch is Best Buy had good reason for discontinuing these things.

I bought a Baseboard Management Controller (about $50) from Super Micro for
this thing, too, hoping to get a remote console interface for it so I don't
have to use a separate keyboard/monitor for the server.  Alas, it has to be
configured with ipmitools which is a bear to install on openSUSE (and even
many other flavors of Linux) so I never got my remote console working.

-rich

believed to be clean.