security camera monitoring from Linux

 I'm looking to remotely monitor a few security cameras attached to an
Ubuntu box via USB. Any recommendation for software to pull this off?

I've looked at ZoneMinder (http://www.zoneminder.com/), which acts as
the central monitoring/recording app. for analog and IP cameras. They
say it'll work with anything that can produce an MJPEG stream or JPEG
stills. I believe it also supports using motion detection to trigger
recording and alarms.

I presume it provides a web UI for remote viewing, but I haven't ran
across that in the documentation yet. Though I'm wonder if using VLC to
directly view the MJPEG streams might be simpler. I hoping the
ZoneMinder web UI provides a means of reviewing the motion detection
logs and corresponding clips.

According to:
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Uvc

you need to use mjpg_streamer streamer
(http://mjpg-streamer.wiki.sourceforge.net/) to read the video stream
from USB video sources and convert them into an MJPEG stream. It doesn't
look like mjpg_streamer is in the Ubuntu repositories, but they do have
a package on the project site. Anyone used this tool before? (I did
notice that my Ubuntu box already has mjpegtools installed, but this
seems to be more of a codec package for other tools, and doesn't provide
a tool to read video frames and stream them over HTTP.)

After attaching my USB video source, the kernel logs:

Aug 12 11:04:24 mythtv kernel: [1755124.647763] usb 2-2: new full speed
USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
Aug 12 11:04:24 mythtv kernel: [1755124.851684] usb 2-2: configuration
#1 chosen from 1 choice

As there is no mention of a /dev/video* device, I gather I still need to
install something to get this to work...yup the UVC v4l kernel drivers:
http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

which don't appear to be available as a package, or event a tarred
source release. Is building this from the svn source really the best
option available?

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro