Wireless setup on home LAN

This has gotten very complicated, but in my experience any home wifi
router can be used as an access point, provided

   1) The wan port is NOT used
   2) DHCP is turned off

The switch/wireless functions of the router don't do anything to the
packets, so they won't interfere with forwarding dhcp packets to the other
router. Getting the device to forward dhcp packets through the wan
interface would be a challenge, I expect.

Since wifi routers now cost about $20 less than access points, this is an
attractive substitute for an access point.

Daniel Feenberg