Web Hosting Suggestions

    Mike> I'm interested in obtaining opinions on some of the web
    Mike> hosting companies out there (linux hosting). I've been
    Mike> considering companies like HostMonster, GoDaddy, etc... Which
    Mike> companies are good, which aren't?

I just moved my server stuff to Dreamhost, and  have had very good
experiences with their user support.  I'm not using it for hosting yet,
but the mailing list stuff has been reliable.

I used a coupon that was posted on this list a while ago, and to my
surprise it worked, and got me a real good deal on the first year.
Write me and I'll look it up if you need it.

We looked at GoDaddy for an organization I was helping a few years ago,
and they didn't at that time offer shell access, which was a dealbreaker
for us.

I've been using hostrocket for my website, which I was doing because
another organization was happy with them.  They've done a couple of
fairly clueless things about mail, and there have been more security
problems on their sites than I would have liked, but their uptime is
pretty good, and their support is usually competent.  I would have just
moved the mailing lists there, but they have ezmlm instead of mailman,
and while I'm sure I could figure out how to deal with ezmlm, I didn't
think I wanted to train all the people who were administering mailman
mailing lists on my server to deal with it.  Also, there didn't seem to
be any way to import the archives from mailman to ezmlm.

Dreamhost was quite good about importing everything from the mailman
lists that used to be on my desktop computer to the ones on their site.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The squeaking of the pump sounds as necessary as the music of the spheres.

Henry David Thoreau