Linux, what are our objectives?

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 09:06 -0500, Gordon Marx wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:37 AM,  <markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > So the question I have is this: is [K]ubuntu really the direction in which
> > we as a community wish to see Linux go?
>
> KDE != Linux. Don't conflate the two.
>
> Sorry to be a bit abrupt, but this is a common mistake and starts a
> bunch of conversations that don't really relate to Linux at all.
>
> Gordon

I would second that comment. I am a huge linux user, (server and
desktop) and have never used KDE desktop (Installed it a couple of
times, just hated the look, and removed it) Personally I use Gnome
Desktop, and then add Compiz for fun.

I can actually second your son's comments, I think KDE is trying to look
like windows/Vista too, and from what I remember reading that was one of
the original intentions, to make it easier to transition for users ...
On the other hand I've shown my desktop to many people and the general
consensus is that mine is more Mac like than windows-like, for example I
have the main panel at the top and use window 'shades'.

The one thing that Linux gives you, for the desktop, is the choice. You
get to choose how your desktop looks and feels and acts, you are not
forced to use someone else's idea of a design or how things should be.
Having said that if you have been used to KDE, and you feel they have
taken away what you loved about it, then, true to the linux standard,
you can move away and try something else (Gnome, enlightenment, ICE
etc ...) or become actively involved with the KDE team ...

Richard