Ethernet over unused twisted pair?

Power lines have long been eyed for communications use.  I studied a=20
case back in the early 1970s where a power company had installed a=20
communications system from its station to various homes, and AT&T wqas=20
able to prevent them from using it. At that time, if you wanted to=20
attach anything to a phone line, it had to be either an AT&T (Western=20
Electric) or needed a special interface. This was before the RJ-11 (and=20
other RJ series of jacks). Actually, power line communications goes back =

to the early 1900s. I recall that it was a real pain in the ass to hook=20
up a modem to the phone lines before the AT&T breakup.

On 03/07/2009 09:05 PM, Gregory Boyce wrote:
> Rather than the phone lines, you could use ethernet over the powerlines=
 in=20
> your house.  A fried of mine has been using it without any issues,=20
> although he was more concerned about latency than bandwith.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance
>
>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix