hardware for MySQL DB

On Apr 15, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Cole Tuininga wrote:

> Eugene Gorelik wrote:
[...]
>> Have anyone tried running MySQL on solid state drives ?
>
> Not yet.  I've heard good things about the performance though.

Big caveat is that it depends on the drive. Cheap SSDs suck rather
badly for small random read and write (esp. the latter) operations.
Intel's SSDs continue to be the best ones around, though at a premium.
Samsung-based ones are also solid, and the OCZ Vertex and others based
on the Indilinx chipset are a very good price/performance value.

>> How does MySQL scales when adding more CPUs or RAM ?
>
> I was lucky enough to get to attend Sun's MySQL Optimization class.
> My
> recollection is that much more than 4 cores is not going to give you a
> huge benefit, though that's likely to change come MySQL 6 with the new
> storage engines.
>
> To quote my instructor though, you can never have enough RAM.  :)  If
> you have your configuration settings set appropriately, MySQL can make
> use of as much RAM as you want to throw at it.

And check out hugetlbfs to optimize further when using gobs of RAM to
eliminate TLB misses and the overhead of managing a bazillion pages.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org