groups

I've always had the hardest time using groups the way they're intended.

Right now, I have a directory I want to edit as a user, which was
installed by the package manager as readable and writeable only by root.

So what I did was set up a new group, and add my user to that group, and
change the ownership of that directory to that group, and change the
permissions to allow reading and writing by the group.

As root, when I look at permissions and ownership, they look the way I
expect.  As the user, if I say "groups username", it lists the new
group, but if I just say "groups", it doesn't, even if I open a new tab
after having added username to the group.

And it doesn't let me write to the directory.

So what do I do to tell the system that it should see username and a
member of the new group?

Is it better to play some game with links from the directory to a
directory in the user's home area?

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

What a natural history of religion would show is that the human
experience of the divine has deep roots in psychoactive plants and
fungi.  (Karl Marx may have gotten it backward when he called religion
the opiate of the people.)

Michael Pollan, _The Botany of Desire_