nvidia

    Ben> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 10:41:48AM -0400, Laura Conrad wrote:

    >> This has solved the problem of the screen redrawing too slowly
    >> when the machine is swapping itself to death, because now X
    >> hangs well before firefox has leaked memory into that state.

    Ben> If the machine is swapping, you should buy more RAM.
    Ben> Changing out the video card or video driver is unlikely to
    Ben> have much effect if you're thrashing the swap partition.

This machine is too old to spend money on.  But I was hoping that
installing a video card with some memory would help with the redraw
being slow.  So I'd rather not fix the problem by taking out the card,
if there's another option.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

There is a law that no formal fromework of an organisation, or a
society, can affect.  Or not for long.  It is that those who do the
work are the real rulers of it, no matter how they are described.

Doris Lessing, The Sirian Experiments