text editor with auto-save feature

On 05/21/2009 08:41 AM, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> Tom Metro writes:
>
>  =20
>> Any recommendations for a Linux GUI text editor that will automaticall=
y=20
>> save unnamed buffers?
>>    =20
>
> How about:
>
> xemacs -vanilla /tmp/unamed-file-created-on-`date '+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S'`=

> It's not exactly what you asked for, but it might accomplish your
> goal.
>
>  =20
Again with xemacs,  a bare xemacs and GNU emacs comes up in a *scratch*=20
buffer that is not saved. But, if you want to create a buffer ^x^f lets=20
you either read an existing file or create a buffer with a file name.=20
And at that point, a save file is created in the current directory. So,=20
if your system crashes because of a hardware problem (because we all=20
know that neither Linux nor Emacs ever crashes) you will have at least a =

partial file. Additionally, if you start vi (eg. vim) and start editing, =

a .swp file is created, since there is no file name associated. Normally =

a <filename>.swp is created.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846