KIO/GIO

Greg Rundlett wrote:
> ...one of the great features of Quanta is that it allows
> transparent network operations through KIO slaves.

Isn't that true of any KDE app?

I've been disappointed with gio, the GNOME equivalent. I find that it is
real hit-or-miss whether a file dialog will support opening network
resources. Even something as simple as your list of bookmarked "places"
doesn't consistently appear in the dialogs.

Eventually I gave up and created a shell script to mount frequently used
network resources to a hierarchy under a folder on my desktop. (The
Desktop folder is consistently available on all file dialogs.) Of course
then GNOME seems to notice the mounts and creates a bunch of top-level
desktop icons, with names that are too abbreviated to be useful.

What I don't get is why is both GNOME and KDE redundantly implementing
this same technology? It really feels like it ought to be implements at
a layer well below the desktop, and shared by both.

I also think GNOME blew it with the UI on the file dialog by having the
usual, expected double-click open folders, but they use a single-click
to open the special folders (places, desktop, etc.) shown on the side.
Why make it inconsistent?

I'm hoping gio will be better in 2.26, as shipped with Ubuntu 9.04,
which I just upgraded to. I see they fixed the session management stuff.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA