nvidia

    Derek> That seems unlikely to be the case here though.  The most
    Derek> likely cause is memory leaks in Firefox or one of its
    Derek> plugins... restarting firefox may very well solve the problem
    Derek> without the need for more/new hardware.

There was never any question that firefox was the problem.  It did go
away when I restarted firefox; I just tended to put off doing that until
it was so slow to redraw the screen that I'd have to go for a cup of
coffee before I could restart it.  This was irritating.

The nvidia driver with the new graphics card was also a problem.

I am now using the nouveau video driver, and using chromium-browser for
everything it works for.  With firefox running only a couple of tabs for
the things chromium doesn't work on, it takes a lot longer for firefox
to leak all the memory out of the machine.

So things feel much more responsive.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

It can't be any new note. When you look at the keyboard, all the notes
are there already. But if you mean a note enough, it will sound
different. You got to pick the notes you really mean!

Thelonius Monk, on being asked how he got a special sound out of the piano