Automount and /home

On 05/31/2009 11:57 PM, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 10:27:06AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>  =20
>> At work, I have a central NFS and NIS server. Normally on weekends I  =

>> turn off my workstation (HP Integrity IA64 running RHEL 5.1) when I =20
>> reboot it, and try to log in from the GUI (GNOME), it tells me it can'=
t =20
>> find my home directory,=20
>>    =20
>
> Did you check the system logs to see if/why the first mount is
> failing? =20
>
> Does the initial login take a long time, or does it log you in
> quickly, but just without your home directory?
>
> A couple of things come to mind.  NFS timeout is one.  DNS
> slowness/failure is the other.  For the first, you might try messing
> with the mount options (retry, hard vs. soft mounts, timeout values
> etc.).  There could also be something wrong with autofs, I suppose...
> Er, are you using amd or autofs?  It's been a very long time since
> I've mucked with either, but I've a vague notion that autofs was
> substantially better for some reason...  But I'm sure that's not
> helpful at all. ;-)
>
>  =20
>> and sometimes comes up the wrong resolution. =20
>>    =20
>
> That's just weird. =3D8^)
>  =20
I've been busy this week so I have not had time to research this more.=20
The login is very fast even though I am using NIS. When I try to log in=20
initially via ssh the symptom is that it fails to authenticate using my=20
public key, but then it gives me the password prompt and the home=20
directory comes up. I'm using autofs. It's not a big deal because it is=20
only my personal workstation. I certainly could place /home in fstab,=20
but I prefer that home directories are not always mounted, but on this=20
system it does not matter. I only shut the system down on weekends=20
otherwise it will warm up the entire office.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846