another fedora release...

On Jun 10, 2009, at 1:17 PM, Matthew Gillen wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> I've had this issue on three machines now (2 upgrades, and 1 fresh
>>> install)
>>> using Fedora 11 x86_64:
>>> Grub doesn't install/update properly.  It's not a big deal, it does
>>> bring up
>>> the shell so you can fix it.  It seems that the grub drive numbering
>>> has
>>> changed, and what used to be hd0,0 is no longer the first partition
>>> (probably
>>> the device itself?).
>>>
>>> In any event, you can fix it easily once you get the grub prompt:
>>> root (hd0,1)
>>> setup (hd0)
>>> reboot
>>>
>>> Where hd0 would be used if your root disk is /dev/sda, etc.
>>
>> Odd. All of my F11 boxes have root(hd0,0) and boot fine...
>
> That is odd. Turns out the machine I have in front of me now has
> windows on
> /dev/sda1, but I'm fairly certain the other two machines I have (at
> home)
> don't.  I'll have to wait until tonight before I can see my home
> machines to
> check them out though.
>
> Regardless of whether the device numbering changed, I've never
> needed to do
> those steps after an upgrade.  So something with the installer must
> have
> gotten confused as to which partition had /boot on it.

Entirely possible...

> (Perhaps that has
> something to do with it: do you typically use a separate /boot
> partition? I do.)

I pretty much always use a separate /boot too. And its rarely anything
other than the first partition on the first disk, as I typically just
pave over any traces of Windows that might have existed on a machine. :)

> Would it help to send you some dmidecode info for the affected
> machines?  Or
> is there something I can do with my submitted smolt profiles to tag
> them as
> having had this issue?

I'm not sure. /root/*.log might be more insightful than anything else.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org