OS X vs. desktop Linux -- or virtualization for both

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:34:41AM -0400, Feanil Patel wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:
> > The cheap, quick & dirty solution: run IE with WINE using IEs 4 Linux
> > or IEs 4 Mac: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
> > Pros: cheap.  Cons: some ActiveX controls don't work.
> >
> > The brute force solution: dual-boot with Windows as a secondary OS.
> > Pros: reliable.  Cons: painful, potentially costly depending on
> > Windows site licensing, users can mess up configurations and render
> > the computers unbootable without sysmonsterly assistance.
> >
> > The elegant solution: build a Windows appliance in VMware and run it
> > with VMware Player (Linux) or Fusion (Mac).
> > Pros: reliable, not painful like dual-booting, easy to deploy and
> > maintain.  Cons: potentially costly depending on Windows site
> > licensing, there is no Player for Mac and Fusion is not free.
>
> If you don't want to pay for VMWare Fusion on the Macs.  Virtual Box is a
> great alternative.  I use it at work when IEs for linux won't do what I
> want.  It's available for Mac, Linux and Windows so it's a pretty good
> versatile solution.

I've been wondering about the virtualization angle on this question of os +
hardware selection.  I'd like to run linux on my next laptop but since IE
isn't the only windows app worth running - especially given the likelihood
that any extra-nifty hardware on it will have a windows app that feeds it -
windows still isn't optional imho.  but I'd really prefer to avoid letting
windows dictate how stable and healthy my laptop is.

as rich & feanil say above, virtualization sounds like the right answer;
it seems to me that ideally I'd get the laptop with windows and all the
manufacturer's customizations & apps installed, then pop in a virtualizing
conversion cd which would make a virtualized windows image out of what the
laptop already has and let me install linux as a non-guest os (either as
host os, or as one of many equal running oses -- so long as windows isn't
the host).  ideally I'd also be able to do things like fork the windows
image at any point to install new windows software, to first see if it
messes up other windows apps or comes with malware, and be able to just rm
that fork if it fails the test.  (I have no expectation of being able to
merge after forking; I'd install a second time back on the main/good image
after I've determined I won't be spending the weekend trying to undo the
damage.)

what virtualization package does this kind of thing well, especially given
that a value I see in doing this is letting the guest os think it has full
hardware access?  I'd prefer open source but will use a closed solution if
that's what it takes.  I'm aware of but not familiar enough with a lot of
virtualizers like virtual box, xen, virtuozzo, kvm, a half dozen seemingly
different vmware offerings, etc; do people have enough experience with any
of these to know whether they fit the need or not?

thanks!
--grg