Stupid (?) Network Question: Is ADSL Full Duplex?

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:08:38PM -0400, Gregory Boyce wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Kent Borg wrote:
>
> > I have residential ADSL service from Covad.  I am not a regular bit
> > torrent user, but have used it a little recently.
> >
> > Odd discovery: My download rate seems to be antagonistic with my upload
> > rate.  Using the bit torrent client "Transmission" under Ubuntu if I
> > leave the upload rate unlimited my download rate drops terribly.  If I
> > limit the upload rate to my download rate goes up!  Why?
>
> http://www.btfaq.com/serve/cache/38.html

The full description is here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3449

If you have a smart firewall, you can use traffic shaping to increase ACK
priority and mitigate the problem.

-ben

--
a lot of people never use their initiative because nobody told them to.
                                                               <banksy>