Changing root password?

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Dan Ritter<dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 06:46:53PM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>> I've googled and cannot find a good answer (it's probably out there,
>> just haven't found it yet...)
>>
>> In the Windows world, at least as admin, you can invoke a command
>> prompt, type: net user account_of_choice password_of_choice, and the
>> password of account_of_choice is changed to password_of_choice, clear
>> text, yes, but Windows doesn't force a verification of the password.
>>
>> What is the equivalent method for an up-to-date Linux distro Centos? ?Ubuntu?
>

> As root, your choice is:
>
> passwd user
> (which will ask for verification, etc)
>
> or many options are available from usermod; man it.
>
> -dsr-
>
> --
> http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
>
> You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.

I do NOT want to prompted for verification of the new password, which
is now Windows' net user option works.   net user account_of_person
new_password (all in clear text) and the password is changed, no
verification of new password.

My goal is to NOT be prompted for verification of the new password.
Just type it once and it takes.  Maybe I should have stated that
earlier.

Thanks.

Scott